Thursday, May 19, 2011

Not dead yet...

As the famous phrase from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail states... I'm not dead yet.
I am tired though.
Problem is, there are only a few weeks of classes left, and that means all my classes are focusing on our finals.  I need to finish up one project in Color Theory that involves color matching Andy Warhol images to other examples of art (commercial, pop, classic, modern, whatever), and then it is off to crunch time.
Right now I have a speech about why you should vaccinate your children (persuasive argument speech) to prepare and make by the end of the month, I have an 11x60 drawing with a self-portrait, landscape, and still life objects portrayed in pastels to make, and a pointillism (think Seurat's La Grande Jatte) project involving creating an artist's book.  Sleep is a luxury few can afford right now, it's finals time!

And what was it that I was spending so much time on last week that made me miss 2 nights of sleep?  Well, one was an installation of a collection of drawings (I may post a picture later).  The other was a Monogram cutout initiating a Bezold effect.  Sound confusing?  Well just know it took me 14 hours just to cut the pieces out for this, and several more hours to simplify the pattern, pick out the colors, make studies and tests, and complain about the amount of work I had to do.
Want to see it?  Sure:


What do you mean who is CH?  My wife!
:P

The Bezold effect is not as strong as I'd like it to be, but we had to pick out a color palette based on an ancient culture, and I chose Arabian.  I didn't see the red as an option until it was too late, but these were 2 common colors, combined with black, and it seemed to have a strong Bezold effect during testing.  I think it is lost a bit with the massive amount of intricate details, but I think you can still see it.  If you are wondering what i am talking about, it is related to the Albers thing I mentioned in a previous post.  In short, the C and H are the same color, but the idea is to make the background different enough that the surrounding spacial color makes the letters seem different colors (or shades).
Weird thing about Bezold... he created one of the fundamental color theory effects/illusions, and yet... he was a physicist and meteorologist.

That being said, take a look at the new TinTin movie trailer.  Curse their decision to show such limited faces in the trailer... the uncanny valley calls but is TinTin diving in?  No TinTin, it's a trap, don't jump!

No comments:

Post a Comment