Saturday, April 30, 2011

Public Speaking, Disney, and Albers

DId you hear?  Walt Disney was cryogenically frozen and buried at the bottom of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disneyland!  Well, if you heard this and thought it was true, you'd be wrong.
I recently did a lot of research about Disney for one of my classes at SCAD, my Communications Public Speaking class.  I always hated giving speeches, but perhaps bad experiences in the past tainted my view of it.  I decided not to let these bad incidents affect how I perform, or at least let me learn from them for the better.  To this end, I made sure to write a kick ass speech (which I would have sworn then was not worth the 100% my professor gave me), and prepare a really kick ass presentation, complete with visual aids and more.  I wish I could have done even more, but my time limit really cut down how much I could do.
Regardless, I gave my speech on Thursday, and it was recorded to DVD, which I have just watched and ripped to my computer.  I will now present it to the world to see my speech, so they too can share in my experience.  I wonder if this now qualifies this as a mass communication and not a public speech?  Or maybe both...

Anyways, here is my speech, enjoy!  Oh, and CONSTRUCTIVE Criticism is ALWAYS welcome.


Thank you, thank you.  I know I could have done better, but you should have seen some of the other speeches that day.  Lets just say I may have set the bar.  (I swear I sound like I'm rushing this, but I went 43 seconds overtime with was a penalty!)

Now besides my speech, which is done and over with (yay!), I have 2 new assignments which I find both annoying and fascinating at the same time.  First, my color theory class is going over a topic I am very interested in, Josef Albers and his study of the Interaction of Color.  I have actually studied this before, and find it fascinating.  Essentially, Josef Albers, and experimental artist of the 20th century, discovered through observation that the human eye or mind will perceive color different depending on the other colors surrounding it.  Usually we do not notice this in everyday life.  However, by isolating colors, you will see things that aren't really there.  Take a look at this:


The X shape in the center of each square is actually the same color.  Don't believe me, look at the center of the top of the image, you'll notice the X's link, and the color never changes.  The surrounding color affects the way we see the color of the X's.  Here is another:


The little green boxes in the middle of the image are the same color also.  Even harder to believe isn't it, but it is true.  Albers was a genius that didn't teach art so much as he taught perception and observation.  He taught how to really see, something no one ever really thought about before.  We are currently studying Josef Albers in Color Theory class, but this is a very hands on class.  As I mentioned before, these assignments are both fascinating and annoying.  Well now you've seen the fascinating in my color theory... the annoying is that we have to make these ourselves, and not just one kind.  We need to make 2 different ones, 2 or 3 of each.  I am now going through hundreds of samples of color (via color-aid), trying to match them up to achieve these effects.  Thrilling...  I sure as hell better be a master is color by the end of this class.
My other class, Drawing, has be drawing a hand, my own in fact.  While this is a fun exercise (although not nearly as fun as a figure drawing), it is a bit tedious.  My professor also wants me to do this large format, and with color pencil.  Now I am in trouble.  That will take me days to finish.  Seriously, I will not finish in the normal 8 to 10 hours we are suppose to finish in (like I am ever that fast anyways).  To top it off, I am covering someone's shift tomorrow, leaving me very little time to myself to draw.  Great.

Well, that is my summed up week from SCAD for today.  I would love to go more into animation, especially since I actually have a few things I would like to talk about, but it will have to wait till next time.  It is late, and I need sleep while I can still get it.

Oh, and about Walt Disney, if you didn't watch my speech, he's cremated and buried at Forest Lawn National Memorial Park in Glendale, California.  No frozen Walt Disney zombie for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment